Plinius Data is a small collection of international library statistics.
This data bank contains spreadsheets of data derived from official statistics and from various library projects. In many cases I have processed the data to make it easier for others to interpret and reuse the information. The countries, including NORWAY, are listed in the right-hand margin on this web page.
- IFLA World Report 2010. Gives the number of libraries in many countries.
- Note that the data are reproduced «as reported».
- See my blog post How many libraries? for a brief discussion of data quality.
- IFLA Statistics and Evaluation Section(2009-)
- Old web site (-2009)
- Bibliography «Impact and outcome of libraries».
- Compiled by Roswitha Poll. - 35 pp.
- Last revised December 2007
- Useful links related to statistics and evaluation.
- Last revised January 2008. Includes links to national library statistics.
- Teresa Hackett. Global Library Statistics 1990 – 2000. IFLA: The Hague, 2003
- Plinius on statistics. Index to posts on library statistics in English
- Plinius om statistikk. Index to posts on library statistics in Norwegian
- Library statistics & measures. Produced by Joe Ryan. Not updated, but very comprehensive for older sources.
- Configuration of data curation infrastructure. From Lorcan Dempsey’s blog.
Plinius: publications on library statistics
- Count The Traffic. A new approach to user behavior. Revised version (2011) of paper for IFLA in Quebec 2008.
- Private lives and public libraries.
- Paper on traffic based indicators – for Northumbria conference in Florence, August 2009
- How to win friends and influence decisions.
- Paper on KOSTRA based indicators – for Northumbria conference in Florence, August 2009
- How much is much? Developing and interpreting national library visitor statistics.
- Paper for IFLA in Quebec 2008.
- The proper use of public money. An improved measure of productivity in public libraries based on Norwegian statistics(Word).
- Paper for the 7th Northumbria International Conference on Performance Measurement in Libraries and Information Services, Spier Wine Estate, Stellenbosch, South Africa, August 13-16, 2007.
- Comparing libraries. From official statistics to effective strategies.
- In Management, marketing and promotion of library services based on statistics, analyses and evaluation / edited by Trine Kolderup Flaten. Munchen : Saur, 2006. (= IFLA publications).
- Why do you ask? Reference statistics for library planning,
- Paper for IFLA Statistics section, Glasgow, 2002. – 55 p.
- First half published in Performance measurement and metrics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 28-37.
- Hva gjør folk når de besøker biblioteket? Rapport fra en undersøkelse ved det nye Drammensbiblioteket.
- In: Hvem er de og hvor går de? Brukeratferd i norske storbybibliotek.. Oslo: ABM-utvikling 2008, s. 58-68. (= ABM-skrift 46). PDF.
- Statistikk og styring i norske folkebibliotek: KOSTRA-systemets rolle i kommunal planlegging.
- Dansk Biblioteksforskning: Tidsskrift for informations- og kulturformidling, årg. 2 (2006), nr. 3, s. 41-51